The #1 trap Satan would love for you to fall into is the trap of sexual impurity. Sex is a very sacred subject with very high consequences! Your response to this post could save you from a broken marriage, broken home, divorce, unplanned children, infidelity, etc.
You need to know the truth about sex! Sadly, generations of parents have stopped teaching their children about sex. You need guidance and a place of safety where you can transparently talk about these things. The reason many teens are giving in to sexual impurity is because they don’t what is real and what is fake. Pop-culture and Satan are doing a good job at twisting and distorting the truth. Anything of value is worth fighting for!
A Biblical example of sexual impurity is found in 2 Samuel 11:1-27. King David places himself into an environment where he would be sexually tempted. He bows to that temptation and has sex with another man’s wife, Bathsheba. King David finds out that she is pregnant and goes into panic mode to cover up his sexual sin. That doesn’t work and David ends up paying a very high price tag for his sexual impurity! V.27, “But the thing that David had done displeased the Lord.”
A Biblical example of sexual purity is found in Genesis 39:1-23. Joseph is working diligently as a servant in Potiphar’s house and has an opportunity to have sex with another man’s wife. Potiphar’s wife day after day hounds Joseph to have sex with her and Joseph refuses because he wants to honor and obey God. He eventually removes himself from this sexual temptation and God blesses and promotes Joseph and greatly uses him later in Pharaoh’s kingdom. V.23, “…the Lord was with him, and that which he did, the Lord made it to prosper.”
7 Statements about Sexual Impurity
1. I understand that sex is a sensitive and critical topic regarding my life and future. – This contradicts everything pop-culture wants you to believe. They want to joke about this, they lie about this, they are seeking to pervert your thinking, and it’s no big deal! I’m here to tell you that how you view sex WILL determine the kind of future you will have.
2. I acknowledge that out of all the ways Satan can trap me, sexual impurity is the #1 way! –Satan is seeking to destroy your teen years so you will have a terrible adult life with lots of emotional baggage, guilt, and regret. He wants to paralyze any potential you have for serving God. So, he uses SEX to do that. Sex is the #1 target he has on your back right now. He wants you to be out-of-control sexually! He wants you to be led around by your sexual desires and emotions. Doesn’t it make sense now why every TV show, movie, song, marketing commercial is focused on sex?! PROTECT YOUR PURITY!
3. It is vital that I maintain a close relationship with authority (preferably my parents) that can help me know the truth about sex from the Bible. – Parents have a tough time talking to their kids about sex. It’s uncomfortable. The easy thing to do is just to talk to your friends about it or watch a movie, but when you talk to your parents about sex you will get PURE truth!!! You need to ask questions to someone who loves you and wants to protect you!! (If your parents haven’t or won’t, please talk to your youth pastor and wife). YOU NEED PURE TRUTH!
4. The reason I have sexual desires as a teenager is so I can prepare for a pure marriage and adult life. – Think about this…do you ever wonder why God activates you sexually at like 12 or 13, but then you have to wait like 10 years before you can fulfill those desires in the boundaries of marriage? Wanna know why? God wants you to have time to prepare for a pure marriage and adult life! Before puberty teen boys are still building tree forts with “no girls allowed” signs and girls are playing with Barbie dolls! You aren’t thinking about marriage, love, relationships, and SEX. But NOW…this stuff gets your attention, you are drawn to many of these things. You need time to prepare to deal with these physical and emotional changes. What better time to prepare than in your teen years! DON’T FIGHT OR NEGLECT THE PREPARATION!
5. I must remove myself from any environments that are perverting and defiling my sexual purity. – You will continue to get pumped with all kinds of lies about sex until you remove yourself from those environments. Do what Joseph did! Put on your running shoes!
6. I believe that sexual purity before marriage is the best way to start an awesome marriage! – I promise you that if you keep yourself pure for your wedding day you will be on a biblical foundation for that marriage! This is God’s way (Gen. 2:24-25)!
7. I believe God’s plan and will commit myself to sexual purity. Stay Pure! Stay Pure! Stay Pure! – God wants you to remain pure, because God is a pure and holy God. You must reflect that in your life. Teenagers and young adults today who are sexually pure are rare and will present many witnessing opportunities.
Someone, somewhere, at some point will try to get you to become sexually active in some way. If you choose to remain sexually pure in a sexually impure world, God will give you the gift of awesome life!
Finish this statement: In order for me to remain sexually pure I will . . .
Credit: A part of this outline is adapted from Cary Schmidt, student pastor at Lancaster Baptist Church. He has made his sermon material available for this study on Teen Traps.