The 2010 Bible is the one you hold in your hand! This year may bring a lot of unknowns, what are you going to depend on in 2010? Are you going to depend on your own ability to make decisions? Are you going to depend on your skills to get through the tough times? Are you going to depend on your bank account? Are you going to depend upon circumstances? Where are you placing your dependence in 2010?
There are 5 reasons why you can depend on your Bible in 2010. Let’s briefly examine each of them using Psalm 119 as a guide.
1. Your Bible is the best defense against sin (Psalm 119:1-3, 9-11). Sadly, but sin will be at an all time high in 2010. There will be increased hatred and conflicts among nations, children disobeying their parents, teens doing drugs, immorality, and crime, married couples filing for divorce, pastors disqualifying themselves from ministry, gay marriage, and the list goes on and on. However, the good news is God’s Word will still be the best preventative against sin in 2010! This will not change! Remember, Sin will keep you from your Bible or your Bible will keep you from sin.
2. Your Bible illumines God’s will for your life (Psalm 119:105-106). This year you will have to make decisions regarding your life, but are you going to make the right and biblical decision and how will you know? There is no better source than to allow the Word of God light your path. In the Bible times people who wanted to travel at night would carry olive oil lamps in the palm of their hand. The flame would shed just enough light for the person to see his or her next step. This is what we would call an “ancient flashlight.” With that in mind reading this passage makes sense now! God will use His Word to give you enough light to see your next step. The safest place to be in 2010 is in the center of God’s will.
3. Your Bible exposes truth and error (Psalm 119:115-119). This year will bring many “new” ideas, methods, technologies, religions, programs, inventions, etc. The USA Today printed an article (1/5/10) entitled, “In America’s next decade, change and challenges,” take a look at some of the “new” stuff they are predicting in the next 10 years…
- Space tourism. By 2020, travelers with a few hundred thousands dollars to spare probably will be able to book a real flight to outer space.
- Brain chip implants. You might be able to control TVs, computers and phones just by thinking of something– provided you’ve an implanted wireless chip in your brain.
- Alternative fuels. If customers are willing to buy electric-powered cars– the Chevrolet Volt debuts at the end of 2010.
Some, not all, of “new stuff” will be contrary to God’s Word and will seek to deceive you. However, you can confidently face 2010 and beyond without fear because God’s Word is very clear about discerning truth from error (see Hebrews 4:12; 2 Corinthians 10:4-5).
4. Your Bible reveals the characteristics of God (Various). This year the Bible will be very clear in revealing the character of God and that will not change. Think over all the blessings, mishaps, gains and losses, trials, and provisions that took place in 2009…now think about God’s character during those times. God is seeking to reveal Himself to through His Word. Are you looking forward to how God will reveal Himself to you in 2010?
5. The Bible is still standing the test of time (Psalm 119:160). God promises that His Word will never return void (empty, useless) or become irrelevant (Isaiah 55:11) regardless of the year. For example, here are some major events that took place 100 years ago in 1909 -
- William Taft becomes the 27th President.
- Construction begins on the Titanic.
- The gas station, BP, is incorporated.
- Alice Ramsey becomes the first female to drive across America (59 days; NY to SF).
- The Pittsburgh Pirates win the Word Series.
- US Navy establishes a base in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
Guess what?! The Bible was just as true, inerrant, sufficient, profitable, and timeless then as it is now, 100 years later! Although circumstances may change and people come and go God’s Word is forever (1 Peter 1:24-25).
In conclusion, you may not know what 2010 specifically holds for you, but you do know your Bible can be depended on this year! Go out and live a life that brings glory and praise to God in 2010!